Friday, March 25, 2016

Plans: Updated

I have finalized my plans for this film. It is going to be called “The Divide”. I chose this name because my piece is going to focus on the unequal distribution of wealth among people and how it affects them. I am currently in a village located around a lagoon called Bacalar. It is in Mexico and this is where my piece will be taking place. I was inspired by this setting because the income inequality is very evident here as the village is made up of both wealthy Mexicans who can build summer homes by the water and poor locals who can only afford real estate on the inland. The characters in my film will be part of one of the wealthy households. I will introduce the story through setting as I plan to show different wealthy homes around the lagoon in contrast to the houses that are less affluent. I will also be introducing characters as they engage in certain aspects of their lives. For example, one of the sons of the family will be introduced playing football. Through this I will be able to create a strong introduction to my piece, its focus and all of the characters. Below is a sample picture of the setting for my film that I took. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the visuals that you have created. I think it is very interesting that you have selected this setting. I hope you got enough footage to work with during your trip. The social separation of classes is a persistent issue in less developed countries. I lived in Mexico City for seven years, and the stratification of classes is very palpable there, the rich live in mansions compassed in luxury, while two blocks away there are little kids sleeping on sidewalks. As you mentioned on your previous posts, I know you are focusing on the visual aspects on the film, however I think that you need to research more about the struggle that these people face, and perhaps how the environment is affected by this issue.

    It would be very interesting if you read some real stories to inspire your characters from. The visual aspects of this theme are also very important and you are on board with that. But I think that finding more substance in the story is going to help your film be more cohesive.

    ReplyDelete